Bored of his day job, Steve Shanyaski had an epiphany, walked out of the door and straight onto the comedy stage – he hasn’t looked back since. Endlessly charming, Steve’s inherent warmth and cheeky, roguish twinkle shine through his material, elevating him to quite another level as a performer.
Within the first six months of his comedy career he made it through to the semi-finals of the BBC New Comedian of the Year, the North West Comedian of the Year Final, and later that year was booked to appear on the BBC7 Radio Showcase “Spanking New”. Since then he has gone from strength to strength, adding to this list of accolades by being named the Holsten Pils Comedian of the Year, and the Birmingham Comedy Festival’s Best Breaking Talent.
Combining surreal observations with wildly tangential imaginings, his off-kilter set pieces have audiences fully immersed in ‘Stevie World’ as he leads them, Pied Piper-like, down the charming avenues of his inner mind. Steve is a long established and popular headliner, regularly closing at Jongleurs, The Stand, The Glees, The Frog and Bucket and many of the UK’s other top comedy nights.
Following 2009’s ‘Reality Check’ Steve returned to The Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2011 with his 4 star-reviewed show ‘Steve Shanyaski’s Life Survival Bible’. A popular choice amongst the late night festival goers, audiences left happy and glowing after an hour of his high energy quirkiness and slick confident routines. This was an opinion shared by critics, who repeatedly awarded him with 4 stars and gushing compliments.
“A Star in the Making” City Life
“Like a mixture between Eddie Izzard and Peter Kay… with a guitar” Stockport Express
“One of my favourite comedians” Jason Manford
“Absolutely stormed it!” The Mail
“The key to his act is that his vision is a delightfully skewed one” Manchester Online
- Winner – Holsten Pils Comedian of the Year
- Winner – Birmingham Comedy Festival Breakthrough Act
- Finalist – City Life Comedian of the Year 2005 + 2003
Appearances & credits
- Kendal Calling Festival 2016
- Kendal Calling Festival 2015
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2012 – Steve Shanyaski’s Life Survival Bible.
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2009 – Reality Check
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2009 – Funny for a Fiver
- XS Manchester – co-presenter, Football Social Show – 2016
- Jason Manford Show – Co-Host- Absolute Radio 2016
- Breakfast Show – 96.2 Revolution FM
- BBC GMR – Co-Presenter
Television & film:
- Comedy Store presents… – Comedy Central – 2013
- Britain in Bed – BBC Three – 2012
- Jason Manford’s Comedy Rocks – ITV – 2011
- City Life Social – Guest presenter – Channel M – 2011
- Zoo Magazine National Ad Campaign – 2006
- North West Comedian of the Year – Presenter – Channel M – 2006
- New Comedian of the Year – BBC3 – 2003
- Spanking New – Stand-Up Showcase – BBC7 – 2003